Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement deal in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 on which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon used and the Township was organized in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph purchased its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Village was incorporated in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its individuals, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a public well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and placed liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a challenge and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which happens to be the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the families after multiple years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing enough time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and animal care. Soon after, World Warfare 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the warfare ended people were able to get their lives again on the right track, at least for a while, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect click here so many of the farmers considered making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Along with the depression effecting every person in town, the community needed to keep together as part of your. Through a federal grant, the Council was able to hire the unemployed to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially joined the US into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were an issue. In those days St. Joseph possessed a populace of around 1050, burning off 10 heroic troops to the conflict. The community continued to be strong and ongoing to increase the Community, adding a normal water tower in 1949, plus a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its drinking water supply, and remains to take action.